Iran claims to have publicly second execution of a 23-year-old man who was involved in recent rallies against the regime.
The judiciary in the city of Mashhad announced early on Monday that 23-year-old Majidreza Rahnavard had been executed by hanging.
After a judge found that he was responsible for the deaths of two members of the paramilitary Basij Resistance Force, they found him guilty of “enmity against God.”
Only 23 days after his capture, Rahnavard was put to death by hanging.
A number of human rights organisations have expressed concern that protestors are being tried and executed in unfair trials where they are denied their constitutional rights to a fair trial.
It was only after he was executed that his mother found out about it.
Afterwards, his loved ones were told the location and plot number of a cemetery. Security personnel had already begun to bury him before they arrived.
An official called the family at 07:00 local time, according to a tweet from the opposition activist group 1500tasvir, and said, “We have killed your kid and buried his body in Behesht-e Reza cemetery.”
Mizan news agency, which is affiliated with the Iranian court, said that Rahnavard was executed by hanging “in the sight of a number of Mashhadi civilians.” The agency also published many images taken before sunrise, which purportedly showed the hanging.
A man was pictured dangling from the cable in front of a crowd of people, though it was unclear how many individuals witnessed the execution or who they were.
At his trial, Rahnavard was not allowed to have his own attorney. The defence attorney assigned to him accomplished nothing.
On November 17th, Mizan reported that he had been arrested on charges of murdering two Basij members on a street in Mashhad. The Iranian government frequently uses the Basij, a volunteer group, to quash dissent.
Director of Iran Human Rights in Norway Mahmood Amiry-Moghaddam claimed on Twitter that Rahnavard’s sentence was based on “coerced confessions, after a severely unfair process and a show trial.”
He warned that there was a “real risk of mass killing of protestors” and that the Islamic Republic should face “severe consequences” for the crime.